Erectile dysfunction also called impotence is a sexual dysfunction in males that include failure of erection to sexual stimuli.
40% of men above the age of 50 years are suffering from this dysfunction however age is not the only factor responsible for the incidence of the disease.
Other contributing factors include psychological and systemic and neurological diseases.
Among the systemic illness that lies the pillar for erectile dysfunction, most common are cardiovascular complications like heart failure, deep venous thrombosis, myocardial infarction, others include diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and traumatic conditions.
Some neurological conditions like stroke, multiple sclerosis, transient ischemic attack, Parkinson’s disease, and cerebellar disorder can also lead to erection problems.
Mood disorders, like post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression, anxiety, and other affective disorders leads to a lack of interest and sexual desires in men thus causing erection deficit.
Effective Medical treatment for erectile dysfunction:
Phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitor drugs like generic Cialis pills can improve the condition and improve erection by increasing the circulation to the genital area.
The PDE-5 inhibitor drugs have a vasodilatory effect and also relaxes the smooth muscles in the penis called the cavernosal muscles thus opening the cavernosal sinuses to be filled with oxygenated blood for obtaining an erection.
Natural cure for erectile dysfunction:
Besides the conventional medical treatment like generic Cialis pills, some natural remedies can also be used for treating erectile dysfunctions. Among the natural treatments are the following,
- Natural supplements
- Dietary modifications
- Prevention or lifestyle changes.
All of these need detailed discussion for understanding how each option work in the ED.
- Natural Supplements: The research on using natural supplements for treating dysfunction is contradictory as there is no clear knowledge present about the constituents of these supplements. This is the reason they should be taken with precautions and a person should not depend on these supplements for lifelong use.
- Natural Viagra: It is also called ginseng and it is proved to show promising results for treating erection problems.
- L-Arginine: Treatment with Arginine can improve erection as it stimulates the release of natural nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide dilates the blood vessels and improves circulation.
- Dehydroepiandrosterone: DHEA is a supplement that can be converted into testosterone and help males obtain an erection easily.
- Dietary modifications: Erectile dysfunction is curable only with diet in the less severe form. Some of the foods that help improve impotence are as follow,
- Watermelon has an abundant amount of lycopene that relaxed the smooths muscles in the arterial walls and improve circulation thus treating erection problems.
- Dairy Products like eggs, fortified milk, etc contain a specific amount of vitamin D that is necessary for the production of natural nitric oxide in the body.
- Flavonoid is another ingredient that improves circulation and is present in apple and dark chocolate.
- Exercise: Among exercises, the ones effective for improving erection are the Kegel exercise for men along with contraction and progressive relaxation of the pelvic floor muscles.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is mostly used in china and it involves the insertion of thin sterile needles at specific pressure points in the muscles. This therapy is proved to be effective and safe inducing generalized relaxation in the body.
- Counselling: The best way to solve problems related to your intimate life is to talk out the problem, this is also known as couples therapy. A professional therapist can guide you to deal with anxiety, depression, or other problems that are causing you stress.
- Lifestyle modifications: You must have heard of the phrase that “prevention is better than cure” so one of the most effective ways to prevent erectile dysfunction is to reduce the factors that could lead to erection problems. Top of the list among the modifiable risk factors is hypertension, then diabetes. And the best way to avoid these risk factors is by having an active lifestyle, regular exercise along with diet and habits modification.