Physiotherapy can include a variety of treatments and preventative approaches, depending on the kind of problems you are experiencing. The physiotherapist will first assess you to help determine what help you need.
There are three main approaches physiotherapy services in Bangalore follow:
- Education and Advice
- Movement and Exercise
- Manual Therapy
In some cases, other techniques, such as acupuncture and ultrasound treatments may also be tried.
Education and Advice
One of the main aspects of physiotherapy is looking at the body as a whole instead of focusing on the individual aspects of an injury. Therefore, giving general advice on how to improve your well-being, for example, regularly exercising and maintaining a healthy weight for specific height and build, is an important part of the treatment procedure.
A physiotherapist may also give you the specific advice that can be applied to everyday activities to look after yourself and also reduce the risk of pain or injury. For instance, if you are suffering from continuous back pain, you may be advised on proper posture, avoiding awkward twisting, correct lifting or carrying techniques, and avoiding overstretching or prolonged standing.
Movement and Exercise
Physiotherapists generally recommend movement and exercise to help improve your function and mobility. It may include:
- Exercises designed to enhance motion and strength in a specific part of the body and they usually should be repeated regularly for a set length of time.
- Exercises are done in warm, shallow water, also known as hydrotherapy or aquatic therapy. The water can help you relax and support the muscles and joints while providing resistance to help you get stronger gradually.
- Activities involving whole body movements, such as walking or swimming. They can help in recovering from an operation or injury that often affects mobility.
- Advice and exercises help you increase or maintain physical activity. Advice is given on the importance of keeping active, and how to do this in a safe, as well as an effective way.
- Providing Mobility Aids like a walking stick or crutches to help you move around easily.
Your physiotherapist might also recommend exercises that you can continue even after the treatment period to help you control pain in the long term or reduce the risk of further injuring yourself.
Manual therapy is a technique in which a physiotherapist uses their hands to manipulate, mobilize, and massage the body tissues. There are home health care services in Bangalore that will perform all these in the comfort of the home environment. It helps in:
- Relieving pain and stiffness
- Improving blood circulation
- Promoting relaxation
- Helping fluid drain more efficiently from parts of the body
- Improving the movement of different parts of the body
This treatment can also be used to treat specific problems, such as back pain. Further, it may also be useful for a range of conditions that do not affect the joints, bones or muscles.
For example, massage may improve the quality of life for people with severe or long-term conditions by decreasing their anxiety levels and improving sleep quality. Further, manual techniques are also used to help a few lung conditions.
Other techniques sometimes followed by physiotherapists to help in easing pain and promoting healing include:
- Acupuncture: Fine needles used to insert into specific points of the body to reduce pain and promote recovery.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS): A small battery-operated device is used to pass an electric current to the affected area to relieve the patient of pain.
Ultrasound: High-frequency sound waves are used to treat deep tissue injuries by stimulating blood circulation and cell activity. This will reduce pain, spasms, as well as speeds up healing.