9 Effective Home Remedies for Myopia
Myopia is a refractive error caused due to elongated eyeballs. So when the light enters the eye, it fails to focus on the light-sensitive retina located at the back of the eye. It rather focuses on the front of the retina, making the distant object appears blurry. Several claims that myopia can be reversed by massaging the eyes, relaxation techniques, and eye exercises. Home remedies for nearsightedness include vitamin and mineral-rich diet, consuming licorice, Triphala and almonds. Lifestyle changes are also must like reading or working in poorly lit areas, using electronic devices or watching TV for long duration and performing close range work.
Some of the natural ways to correct nearsightedness and to prevent further degeneration of the eye are-
- Breathing exercises- breathing through the nose and exhaling through the mouth while keeping the eyes closed is highly beneficial. It should be done steadily and continuously for over 3 minutes, but remember not to inhale more than usual.
- Eye exercises– ophthalmologists recommend eye exercises along with prescription glasses and medication as they have a significant effect on myopic conditions. Yoga too is an excellent way of exercising the eye.
- Working in optimally lit spaces relaxes the eyes and does not strain the muscles inside.
- Taking breaks while watching TV or working on the computer or continuous reading reduces the severity or appearance of myopia.
- Consuming Triphala is a mixture of three fruits- Chebulic myrobalan, Indian gooseberry, and Beleric myrobalan. It is an Ayurvedic approach to improve vision.
- Take a half spoon of mashed Licorice and divide it into two equal parts. Mix one part in ghee (clarified butter) and others in honey and consume twice daily with milk to treat myopia.
- Vitamin A, B, C, D & E found in green leafy veggies, fish, peppers, apples, carrots, and dried fruits and nuts are beneficial for good vision.
- Kusuma Varthi Anjana is another Ayurvedic medicinal preparation to treat simple myopia. The powder can be consumed twice daily to bring down the risk of myopia.
- Almond, Anise seed, coconut and candy sugar can be powdered and consumed twice daily to improve vision.